App & Osborne Family Cookbook 2004
1 baked pie crust
4 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 C milk
1 egg or 2 egg yolks
1/2 C sugar
1. It is important to assemble everything before you start. You don’t want to have to step away to get something and have the filling burn,
2. Make a roux: In a medium saucepan over med heat, melt butter. Once melted whisk flour in until it is a pasty mixture. Immediately stream the milk into mixture and whisk constantly. Mixture will thicken slightly.
3. Remove saucepan from heat. Temper the eggs: In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Slowly pour about 1/4 C of the filling mixture into the eggs and whisk continuously. Once all blended, put saucepan back on heat over medium high heat. Whisk egg mixture into saucepan. Continue to whisk and add sugar. Mixture will thicken more.
4. Continue to cook and whisk for about 2 minutes or until mixture is consistency of thick pudding. Pour into pie pan and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until chilled.
5. Top with sweetened whipped cream that has a little vanilla in it. So good!