1# ground beef
2 medium carrotes, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 C reduced-sodium beef broth
2 Tbsp dry red wine or additional beef broth
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 C frozen peas
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 C milk
1/4 C butter, cubed
3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9″ deep-dish pie pan.
2. In a large skillet, cook hamburger, carrots and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, drain. Stir in flour, parsley, salt and pepper until blended.
3. Gradually add broth and wine; stir in tomato paste and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
4.Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
5. Stir peas into meat mixture; transfer to prepared pie pan. Drain potatoes; mash with milk and butter. Stir in 1/2 C cheese, salt and pepper. Spread over meat mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place pan on a foil-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown.