3/4 C shortening
1 3/4 C sugar, divided
1 tsp lemon extract, divided
2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
2 C warm water
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×9 pan.
2. In mixer bowl, cream shortening and 1 C sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, whisk well. Thoroughly mix into creamed mixture, alternating with milk, beating well after each addition.
4. Reserve 1/2 C of batter for the sauce.
5. Pour remaining batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, place reserved batter into a medium saucepan. Add the warm water, 3/4 C sugar, 1/2 tsp lemon extract and vanilla. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir in butter until melted.
7. To serve, pour sauce over over warm squares of cake. Makes 9 servings.