App & Osborne Family Cookbook 2004
1 1/2 C butter
2 C sugar (either white or brown)
4 eggs, separated. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
2 C jam – blackberry is best
4 1/2 C all purpose flour
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cloves
1 C buttermilk or sour milk
1 C raisins
1 C broken nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a tube pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar; beat well. Add yolk and jam (if jam is stiff and dry, add a little milk to soften it).
3. Mix together dry ingredients. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk to creamed mixture, mixing well
4. Fold in beaten egg whites with nuts and raisins.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake 1 hour. Do not frost.