1 package yellow cake mix
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin, divided
½ C milk
1/3 C oil
1-1/2 tsp pumpkin spice, divided
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 C powdered sugar
1 (8 oz) Cool Whip, thawed
¼ C caramel ice cream topping
¼ C chopped pecans, toasted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 – 9-inch round cake pans.
2. Beat cake mix, 1 C pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp pumpkin spice in a large bowl and mix well.
3. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
4. Remove pans from oven and cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans and finish cooling on wire racks.
5. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until creamy. Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and pumpkin spice; mix well. Gently stir in Cool Whip.
6. For 4 layers, cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife; stack on serving plate, spread cream cheese between layer. (Do not frost top layer.)
7. For 2 layers, spread icing on one cake layer; top with other cake layer and ice the top layer also. I prefer this method as I can’t cut the cakes evenly!
8. Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving; top with nuts.
9. Refrigerate leftovers.