3 -pound boneless chuck roast
2 Tbsp olive garden
Salt and pepper
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5) can beef broth
¾ cup dry red wine (optional)
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 – pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into chunks
6 medium carrots. Peeled and cut into 1 ½ pieces
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in dutch onion over medium-high heat. Season roast all over with salt and pepper, then add roast to pot and brown on all sides. About 2 minutes per side. Remove roast to plate, add onion to pan and sauté until they begin to brown, about 4 -5 minutes, adding garlic during last minute.
3. Return roast to pan, pour beef broth and wine over the roast. Add enough water to the pan so that the level of liquid comes ¾ of the way up the roast. Add thyme, rosemary and bay leaf to broth. Bring to a simmer, then cover pot with lid and transfer to oven and cook 2 hours.
4. Remove from oven and add carrots and potatoes to pot and season with salt and pepper. Return to oven and cook 1 – 1 ½ hours longer until roast and veggies are tender.
6. Remove roast and cut or shred into large pieces, while removing fat. Remove bay leaf and herb sprigs. Serves 6.