If you want a crisp pickle, after slicing your cucumbers, soak in ice water for 4-5 hours before pickling and you should pickle your cucumbers within 4-5 hours after picking to get the best crunch.
4 C sugar
2 C vinegar
7 C Sliced pickling cucumbers, 1/4″ thick
1 C sliced onions
1 green or red pepper, cut into strips
1/2 tsp. celery salt
2 Tbsp. celery seed
3 tsp. salt
1. Bring sugar and vinegar to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let brine cool to room temperature.
2. Put vegetables and spices in a bowl and mix.
3. Pour vinegar over vegetables and spices and stir gently.
4. Place into smaller containers and refrigerate for a day before freezing.
5. The pickles need to ferment in the freezer for 4-5 weeks before eating.
5. Thaw in fridge before serving.