6 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ pieces and chilled
3/4 C pecans or whole almonds, coarsely chopped, if mixing by hand , then chop finely.
2 1/2 pounds apples, nectarines, peaches, pears or plums. (6 C cut).
1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp. lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Put flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until mixture looks like coarse cornmeal. Add nuts and pulse until it looks like coarse sand. Do not over-process or mixture will look like a smooth cookie-dough-like texture. Refrigerate mixture while preparing fruit or at least 15 minutes
3. Toss fruit, sugar, lemon juice and zest. If using plums add 1 Tbsp tapioca.
4. Scrape fruit mixture into a 8×8 pan or a 9″ deep dish pie pan. Top evenly with chilled topping.
5. Bake for 40 minutes. Then increase temperature to 400 degrees; bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is a deep golden brown. About 5 minutes.
To make a bigger crisp, double all ingredients and use a 9×13 pan and bake for 55 minutes at 375 degrees without increasing the temperature.
Follow recipe for fruit crisp, reducing amount of cut apples to 5 cups and adding 1 cup of raspberries to apples.
Follow recipe for fruit crisp, reducing amount of cut peaches to cups and adding 1 C fresh blueberries and 1 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca to fruit mixture.