App & Osborne Family Cookbook 2004
1 large round loaf of bread
1 medium jalapeno pepper, diced
12 oz. ground beef
2 tsp. olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped – about 2 cups
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped – about 1 cup
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 can (14.5 oz.) whole tomatoes
1/4 C no salt added tomato paste
1 can (8.5 oz.) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (7 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1. For the bread bowl use a serrated knife to slice off about and inch from the top of the bread bowl. Carve out a “bowl” from within the bread, leave about an inch all around the inside.
2. For the chili: use a fork and knife to cut the jalapeno ( I don’t think I need to tell you about the pain involved when you touch your eyes with hands that have touched a hot pepper).
3. In a large non-stick skillet, cook beef over medium heat, stirring until browned – about 5 minutes. Drain any fat and remove beef from skillet and set aside.
4. In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add both peppers and chili powder; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Add beef, tomatoes and tomato paste; bring to boil.
6. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Add beans and corn. Cook for an additional 5 minutes
7. Ladle chili into bread bowl and serve immediately.