4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 onions, quartered
2 (4 pound whole chickens)
- In a small bowl, mix together all the spices.
- Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity and pat dry with paper.
- Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 4 onion quarters in each chicken. Place chickens in ziplock bag or double wrap each chicken in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at leas 4-6 hours.
- Pace chickens in roasting pan. Bake uncovered at 250 degrees for 5 hours or until breast temperature is 150 degrees or thigh temperature is 175 degrees. Let sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- P.S. You could also spatchcock the chicken. Spatchcocking is when you cut the spine out the chicken and then flatten it. It cooks faster this way, so if you choose to do this, make sure you use a thermometer. Just put the onions under or on top or the spatchcocked chicken.