Susanne App Delisle
This is one of my families favorites. I have even made a vegetarian version of this. It is a little time consuming but so worth the effort.
2 pie crusts
2 pounds chicken breast or thigh, boneless and skinless
1 small onion
2 large potatoes
1 large carrot
2 Tbs butter
1 chicken bouillon cubes or the equivalent if using paste or dry bouillon
1 C water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
1 C half-and-half
1/4 C all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Dice onion, peel and cut potatoes into 1/2″ pieces and slice carrot.
- In skillet over medium-high heat, in hot butter, cook chicken, stirring frequently. When cooked, remove the chicken from the skillet.
- In drippings remaining in skillet, cook onion until tender. Add potatoes, carrot, bouillon, salt, thyme, pepper and 1 C water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl; mix half-and-half and flour until smooth. Stir into simmering liquid in skillet. Over medium heat, cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in chicken; pour mixture into 9 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ deep pie plate and top with other pie crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until filling is hot and crust is browned.