1 C milk
1 Tbsp salt
4 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 C warm water, divided
1 cake of yeast
2 C all purpose flour
4 C whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp softened butter
1. Scald milk
2. Add salt, honey and 3/4 C warm water to scalded milk. Stir well. Let cool until lukewarm.
2. In remaining 1/4 C water, dissolve the yeast; add to the milk mixture.
3. Add flours gradually and knead into a smooth ball
4. Use some of the butter to grease a bowl. Place dough into the buttered bowl and brush top with more of the butter. Let rise until double in size.
5. Knead lightly and shape into a loaf and place into a 9″ loaf pan. Brush with more soft butter and let rise until double.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.