1 head of cauliflower, about 2 pounds
2 1/2 Tbsp. butter, divided, plus more to grease the baking dish
3 Tbsp. fine bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. flour
3/4 C milk
3/4 C chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
1 oz. prosciutto
1 C cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 1-2 quart baking dish. Big enough to have the cauliflower in a single layer.
2. Trim cauliflower, cut into florets and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.
3. Melt 1/2 Tbsp. butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and stir to coat with the butter. Season with salt. Cook, stirring until bread crumbs are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in separate small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to blend. Cook for 1 minute then add milk, broth, bay leaf and garlic. Bring to a boil whisking, then adjust heat to maintain a bare simmer and cook 8-10 minutes, scraping sides of pan occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf and garlic. Keep warm.
5. Cut florets in halves or quarters and arrange in prepared baking dish. Pour sauce over the cauliflower, tear prosciutto into and scatter over sauce. Top with bread crumbs.
6. Bake in lower part of oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Let rest for 15 minutes.